Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Tale of The Lost Dordt Students.

Last night I set my alarm for 930 so I could wake up and go to Bridge of Hope. I have not been there in a while and I really wanted to go. Being that I do not carpool or "go" to church with anyone anymore I ended up getting over to the high school about 15 minutes late. I had a hard time waking up...and I took my bike (lost my car keys) , but I quick threw some jeans and a tshirt on a figured I would be fine. I walked in to the high school with my flip flops on and noticed an old guy wearing a nice suit. Though I thought it was a little strange since most people at bridge dress a lot LOT more casual than that, I figured he was visiting. As we passed each other I said "good morning", but he just kindof kept his head down. Weird. hmmm.....so, I walked up to the side door, peaked in, and noticed that I was definately the odd man out. Everyone in the whole place was wearing a nice suit or a dress or dark clothes. I saw people look over at me and I almost jumped back. Confused, I slowly turned back and walked to the cafeteria where i saw another straggler also looking puzzled. I don't know the girl, but given that she was wearing a pink skirt and white shirt I figured we were probably in the same boat. We looked at each other and I asked "what the heck is going on here?"
"I don't know...these are definately not Bridge people though" she responded.
"yeah, No doubt. I feel a bit underdressed".
"NO KIDDING...compared to these people they probably think I look like a total slut"!
I giggled and we walked away from the auditorium shaking our heads. We split ways at the door, since I had my bike, and wished each other well.

The thing is......had that dude had come to Bridge with a suit on he would have felt dumb too. Acceptance/lack of acceptance in church is such a weird thing. I ended up reading a book behind SouthView for morning church...at least behind there I don't have to worry about fitting in.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Chad, come out to Washington. We don't stare at people when they're underdressed. We have guys at the door to stop them before they even get in. Quite effective.