Friday, October 31, 2008

Into the Wild

I just finished the book Into the Wild by Jon Krakuar. It is a sort of surreal story about a idealistic dude right out of college that travels around for two years living in obscure places and ends up in the wilderness in Alaska. He lives in the wild for 117 days before he succumbs to starvation and dies (its a bit more complicated, but this is the short version).

I suppose the reason the book resonated so well with me is because my sex, age, love for travel, idealism (not even close to Chris McCandless's), and against the grain-ness. He lives with out any solid income for two years before he goes into the wild with a small rifle and little bit of camping gear. I guess it just arouses the adventurer in me. Despite the fact he died from it...he wouldn't have had to with a little more preparation. It makes me want to go and be in the mountains for a while.

I really liked the book though it is a sad story in the end. I guess the gist of it for me was to quit acting like I care about the idealisms I hold and start actually living them out. That will give me a heck of a lot better idea if I actually believe them. (not just modern philosophy stuff, but Christian ideals and ways of living)

I just started a book called Jesus for President which seems to have a lot of counter-cultural Christian ways of life in it as well.

2 comments:

Lori said...

You should watch the movie "Into the Wild" produced by Sean Penn. I haven't seen it but I've heard it's really good.
By the way, I just finished "The Alchemist" while sipping coffee and chewing through a lemon poppy seed muffin outside while Caleb was sleeping. I'd like to start "the Fifth Mountain" next. It was really good.

Anonymous said...

I know you like adventure, but don't go in the wild and die.
Ok? I know you won't :)
I want to read the stuff on your list when it gets colder.
Have a good day!
MOM